Monday, November 7, 2011

Reflections

I went to Lancaster Ave. on Wednesday, November 2nd. I had a wonderful time and met so many wonderful people there. I went in a bit skeptical, but came out not wanting to leave. A little boy gave my friend a snickers bar, and a man gave my boyfriend some face wash! (They somehow got on the subject of acne, and the guy was like, "Here, try this!") We didn't bring in any money or anything, but we came out with stuff that they had given to us! It was so unlike what I expected. Who would've thought that they would be giving things to us?! I was also very impressed when I saw homeless people that appeared to have nothing but the clothes on their back, and they were tithing to the church by putting coins in the pastor's hat. They disproved the stereotype that homeless people are a bunch of drug addicts that just want to take your money. The wonderful people I met are very giving, and they love the Lord with all they have. Although their lives are tough, they still thank God every day for letting them breathe. I have had so many wonderful opportunities, and I often forget to thank God, while they thank God every day for the very little that they have. This reminded me to pray and appreciate all that I have been given. I had a great time. They were so easy to talk to, and I can't wait to go back.

-Natalie Caples

2 comments:

  1. Your first experience was so similar to mine and so many others I've heard. It's amazing to see how quickly misconceptions can be shattered. All it takes is time spent with the people that have been misconceived for it all to change. Thank you for sharing your honest thoughts!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome post! I completely identify with everything you said. Recently someone down there gave me a jacket, and when I tried to refuse it, they insisted. They had finally gotten a day of work for the first time in months, and their paycheck was $50, and they went out and bought me that jacket because they wanted to. Talk about generous! Makes me feel pathetic for how close of an eye I keep on some of my belongings. I hope you and your boyfriend continue to come down!

    ReplyDelete